When it is time for you to design an outdoor kitchen, there are several considerations. To make the most out of your outdoor kitchen be sure to review these five things:
- What will you cook? If you love grilling an outdoor kitchen is ideal. But outside of grilling, will you want to have a brick oven? Would you like some side burners for sauces or soups? Is a rotisserie something you would enjoy? Would you like the ability to roast marshmallows as well as grill?
- How much space do you have? Take a look at your outdoor area and determine how much space you would allocate to an outdoor kitchen. This can make a big difference in what appliances you will choose. Professional designers can help to optimize outdoor kitchens so they have all of the luxuries that you would like while still allowing space to have fun.
- Are there weather extremes? Would your outdoor kitchen be exposed to extreme heat or cold? Are rain storms or wind storms a problem in your area? Think about how moisture, heat, wind or cold could affect your outdoor kitchen choices. Weather can impact counter tops, the seams in the materials, and the electrical wiring or plumbing of the appliances. Be sure to choose materials that can endure your particular climate area.
- What protection should be used? While you will need ventilation for cooking, you should also consider shelter to reduce exposure for your outdoor kitchen appliances and materials. The protection can include patio umbrellas, built in covers for grills or cook tops, or patio covers that can resist rain and wind. Another option is to have enclosures that will keep bugs and other pests away as well.
- How can space be optimized? Can you leverage countertops as eating areas? Could a sink work with the bar as well as for the kitchen? Can trash cans be placed under countertops?
Your outdoor kitchen can be an exciting project. Make sure to plan properly so you get the most out of your outdoor cooking and dining experiences for years to come. Explore all of your design options first to determine what will work best for you.