Are you planning to build an in-ground pool in the near future? If the pool will be primarily for family recreation, there are a number of features that you may want to consider. While these features are not appropriate for lap or exercise pools, they are perfect for young children and teenagers who will get hours of entertainment in a pool. As you start putting together your pool plans, consider these top 5 features for a family fun pool.
- Single depth. Children who play in a pool want to be able to keep their feet on the floor of the pool most of the time. Similarly, adults who are using a pool for recreation do not want to spend a lot of time treading water. Instead of building a traditional pool that slopes from three to five feet, consider building a pool that has a single depth of three and half to four feet.
- Hybrid lap pool. Many people do not consider hybrid lap pools to be one of the top 5 features for a family fun pool. However, they are an ideal option for families who want a pool for both recreation and exercise. Most people choose an L shape for a hybrid pool with the long side for swimming laps and the short side for recreational purposes.
- Wading area. Are you planning to have young children using the pool? A wading area is the perfect place for young children to hang out in the pool while still enjoying time with the rest of the family. Some people build a separate wading area so that as children grow out of it, they can turn the area into something else, such as a fountain or a spa.
- Diving board. Most people choose springboard diving boards for home pools that allow you to adjust the spring level of the board. It is important to keep in mind that different springboards require different pool depths. For example, a 1-meter diving board requires a pool depth of 11.5 feet while a 3-meter diving board requires a 12.5 foot depth.
- Water slide. As you look at water slide options, make sure to check the materials, weight requirements, and safety standards. A slide should be made with high-grade materials and should be able to support the members of your family. All water slides should comply with United States swimming pool slide safety standards.
Are there some pool features we missed? What do you think your family would enjoy with your new pool?